Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion Review


SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion






If you have been following along, you know I did a book review a little while back of #MadBack. I was very pleased with the book, as I have been a back pain sufferer for a long time- and it was only made worse after I had my giant baby a few years ago (11 lb 11 oz.) My bones have not been right anywhere in my body after that!

I was very happy to receive a SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion for review..

I have been doing ergonomic assessments as a safety professional for the past 10 years or so in my "regular job" and I can tell you that most people have issues with sitting in a desk in a cube all day. I have. One of the things I did on most assessments, was get the coworker a new chair. I would coach them on proper form at the desk and maybe add a fancy mouse or keyboard. 

But over time, I suspect the folks reverted back to their old habits, and had pain again, but didn't come back to me. I think even the best chair that I have seen will not solve the issue with sitting in the same position for 8-12 hours a day. Unfortunately, it is how some of us need to make our living.. 

After reading the #MadBack book, I was not surprised entirely to see that movement is suggested for folks with back pain. Really, the days of laying in bed for hours on end as a repair mechanism are not effective for most chronic back pain. Patrick Lee suggests  motion, in the form of proprioceptive therapeutic exercises. 

(Studies backing this up can be found at: http://www.elitesportstherapy.com/Proprioception-and-Low-Back-Stability)

His company has a variety of great products to help, but the one he chose to send me for my pain was the SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion.  

Why would I need a SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion

The website lists the following indications:

  • Reduce back pain and fatigue
  • Reduce physical inactivity
  • Improve sitting posture
  • Exercise core stability and equilibrium
  • Prevent pressure on coccyx and pelvic floor
  • Perform a wide range of active, fun and effective proprioceptive therapeutic exercises

Did it help?


To be honest, I spend most of my days chasing a toddler of late. I work at home, and my computer time is split between laying in bed trying to get her to sleep, and on the couch doing work while she plays. 

I do have a nice office/craft room area that I get to spend time in, but it is not every day. When I am in that room, my chair is a standard padded kitchen chair. There are not many days that I can spend a lot of time in that chair, especially without pain. Much of my issue, especially while sewing, is that I have my head folded forward when I work, and that was in the book as a problem as well. UGH...  But the chair is hard!

I have 2 different padded movable cushions that I bought when I was pregnant, that I had added and removed from my chair over time, but they really don't help much. 

I am not in a position to get a proper chair for that room, so I thought this was where I could really test the SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion

I placed the properly inflated cushion on my chair and was pretty happy right away. I could really feel myself moving about and my body adjusting as I sewed and crafted. I still tip my head forward too much, but I have a better base for my seat.

I can tell that my core is working more as I sit. I am not stuck in one position, even though my legs are stationary (well, minus the sewing machine foot pedal.) It took some time to get used to it. It made my body work to sit there!

I definitely noticed the first use that I was able to sit in the terrible chair longer than I had before. I sewed up a storm. I was happy!

I am also happy to report that the SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion is sturdy. I know this because the toddler got a hold of it and went crazy.. she sat on it, she slid off of it. She jumped on it ( only once before we had a chat.) At 34 pounds of toddler jumping power, she didn't break it.

She carries it around and unzips the cover and puts stuff in it, and zips it up again. The thing is strong and well made..at this actual moment, I don't even know what she did with it, and I need to find it- she loves it, and I suspect she hid it from me!

Overall, I am very impressed with this simple yet effective tool. It is flexible and inexpensive, and definitely worth a look at if you are having back pain. Add in that book, and I think you will on your way to recovery.

I really appreciate the help and feedback from Patrick Lee and his company Body Ryzm. He is glad to chat with you and help you feel better!

Thanks so much for letting me review the  SambaRX Ergonomic Seat Cushion!