Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Make Your Own Almond Milk and Nut Milk Bag Review



Make Your Own Almond Milk and Nut Milk Bag Review







My daughter loves almond milk so I thought it would be a great idea to try the Homemade Nut Millk Bag sold by Everyday Kitchen.



I had a recipe stashed away from Pinterest and decided to give it a whirl.. To be honest, I wanted to do this a few weeks ago, but my daughter has had a virus and wasn't eating or drinking fluids normally up until recently, so I wanted to wait to try something new with her. 

Here is the recipe:


Home Made Almond Milk


1.5 cups of almonds
4 cups of water
2 tbs honey
a splash of vanilla


I soaked the almonds in water overnight in a closed container in the fridge. 



The next day I dumped that water, placed the almonds, honey and vanilla into my blender and whizzed it up, gradually adding the 4 cups of new water to blend it.




Once it was a fine fine puree, I got the jar and Homemade Nut Millk Bag prepped. I had chosen to use a jar that had a narrowing at the top. 



This may have been a bad idea.. I WAS very pleased that I was using this particular Homemade Nut Millk Bag though, as the string came in handy..



You see, once you start dumping that puree into that bag, it gets heavy! I had it suspended in the jar, and the string held it in their perfectly.. 

The issue I had, was that once the liquid started rising in the jar, it got as high as the bag! HA! I tried to pull it out and the almond meal was all bunched up in the bottom.

The good part was that as I squeezed it up, a lot of new almond milk got squished out.. the problem was that not all of that went into the jar. OH BOY!














I still had more milk in that bag.. so I ended up tying the string on the cupboard's knob and suspended the bag over the jar.. 


Yes- I was doing it all wrong.. but in the end, the recipe came out alright.. and that bag was really a great performer. It is sturdy, easily washable and I just hung it up to dry. 


Here is the almond meal that remained- you can bake it dry and use it in other recipes!

If you care to blunder through a recipe, it is important to use great tools that help you succeed in spite of yourself!

There are many recipes on my Pinterest board... juices, nut milk combos.. There are so many ways to use this bag!

The Homemade Nut Millk Bag is available on Amazon, and the price is right... making your own almond or other nut milk is a breeze once you figure out what NOT to do like I did.. 




I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.