Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Jiva Organics Cardamom and Pistachio Yogurt Frosting and Review


I was recently asked to review some cardamom pods from Jiva Organics. I have loved all of the other spices that they sent me for review (Cumin) and some coriander I haven't finished writing up yet..the cardamom was going to round out my collection nicely. So many recipes call for all 3!



We decided to try and be a little creative- who wants to only read about Chai recipes? I love chai but I wanted to try some other concoctions..

So I stared with this Pinterest board. My first taste was just to chew the seeds. I had a little mouth infection going, and I read that cardamom seeds were great for that. I love the flavor!
Then we tried this Cardamom and Pistachio Hot chocolate. Except I was out of pistachios.. still made it, and OMG- yum.

Finally, the frosting. My man loves to make brownies with a recipe his mom has always used. I have always found them to be a bit sweet for me, and he likes to put chocolate frosting on top as well. OVERLOAD! So tonight, when he was making a pan of brownies for man night, I had him make a plain batch for me.

I saw a recipe or two for chocolate cakes and cupcakes paired with pistachio and cardamom frostings.. I HAD to try them. I picked up a huge bag of pistachios earlier, and I was ready.

I decided to enlist the toddler in my pursuit. We looked for a few different combos, but we finally decided to try something that didn't have added sugar. The brownies had enough. We have a small pan 8x8 to frost.

Ingredients:
1 cup Whole plain yogurt- we used Mountain High 
a handful of pistachios
7 cardamom pods (emptied of their seeds, and crushed, discard pods)

(you can play with the quantity by taste- I love the strong flavor)

I tried to have my daughter crush the cardamom with her mortar and pestle, but we quickly realized that wasn't going well. We ground them up the best we could. I think a nice coffee bean grinder or such could make quick work of this, or you could get crushed cardamom, but I will tell you, the flavor cannot compare to freshly crushed cardamom. We have pods to review, and that will always be my first choice anyway!

We then crushed and ground the pistachios. 

I added the seeds and nuts to the yogurt and stirred. I tasted. OMG. I loved it. I wanted to just eat it.. but alas, I needed at least one taste with the brownies, and it was fantastic!




Photo: What is left of our "frosting" that we made for brownies. Yogurt, cardamom and pistachios...we just ate it.

We ate the "frosting" without the brownies after our sample bites.. I really left everything kind of chunky, but you can grind them smooth and have a great experience too.

There are some other recipe versions that add some honey, maple syrup or other type of sweetener.. those are certainly options, but with the very strong chocolate brownies, I think the tart yogurt is preferable. 

You will definitely want to stick with organic cardamom pods. The ones from  Jiva Organics are incredibly rich and flavorful, and will make a great add to any recipe you come up with. They have been a great company to work with for reviews, and I work with quite a few so I know;)

Pick up a bag, and hit my Pinterest board, and you will run out of cardamom before you run out of ideas:)

Thanks so much to  Jiva Organics for letting us try their incredible cardamom!
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.