Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Using Sea Sponges Bad for Ecosystem? Try Konjac Bamboo Charcoal Sponge

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

I was recently sent a Konjac Facial Sponge w/ Bamboo Charcoal for review. I was a little skeptical of this sponge at first. It seemed a little odd to me.. but I was definitely interested in trying it!


First of all, I do use sea sponges sometimes in the bath. They mainly have come along with other products I have purchased in the past- a mud mask, my daughter's Tummy Tub etc. I cannot say I have actually ever purchased one outright. 

But I have since learned that there are environmental concerns with the use of sea sponges- they are a part of the underwater ecosystem after all, and they were once living organisms.. so maybe I shouldn't be cleaning my face with them.

What I read was that sponges are playing a very key role in keeping coral reefs healthy. (and we all know that coral reefs are having issues lately) 

Many sponge harvesting activities are harmful because they don't just take part of the sponge, but the whole thing, essentially killing it. (there are some eco-friendly choices out there that will describe their harvesting process to you, but they are not common.)

If we are killing off sea sponges in non sustainable ways, we are hurting coral reefs!

Certainly another option needed to be created and here it is!

According to Konjac"

"Konjac sponges are made 100% vegetable fiber,which is  alkaline, and  balances the acidity of the skin."


That sounds great to me. But like many eco friendly things that are promoted, we want to know how good they are. Does this sponge work as well as my sea sponge or other synthetic products? ( I personally do not care for the synthetic sponges, just fyi)

First off, I love that this product comes with a string and a plastic suction hook to hang the sponge to dry. I need to keep it away from a toddler so she doesn't do who knows what with it.. Hanging is a great choice since she can't reach! It also provides complete aeration to dry out in between uses. 




I noted that the sponge was hard when I got it. Like really hard.. it needed to be soaked, and there are instructions to make this easy to do. It took no time at all. 
I was on my way to cleaning my face.

I decided to use my Pretty Mommies Cleanser with this sponge, as I am familiar with how it works and I like it. I usually do 2 squirts of the soap, but I found that one squirt would have done the trick here. The sponge helped me get a lot more bubbling and surface coverage from less soap. A great idea!

I was feeling like my skin was getting a nice scrub, exfoliating some of the dead skin and goo that a Phoenix summer day leaves on our face. 

The sponge had an unusual feeling on my face, not exactly like a sea sponge, but nicer I think. 

I rinsed my face, and was very thorough rinsing out my sponge. I hung it to dry and was very happy. My face was very glowy and felt great. It certainly enhanced the cleaning experience for my soap!

Overall I am very pleased by the Konjac Facial Sponge w/ Bamboo Charcoal  and I would suggest giving it a whirl if you are looking to replace some of your other less eco friendly products. 

Thanks so much to Konjac for letting me try this!






I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.