Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pimsleur Spanish I Review- Learn a language fast!

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

I am not going to lie- I took a lot of Spanish in high school. 




I even took some in college, but it has been such a long time for me, that I am really quite a bit rusty with my skills. 

Pimsleur Spanish offered me a free product to review for the blog, and I thought this was a great time to try and improve my Spanish, so I don't sound like so much of a jerk when I talk to Spanish speakers.

I love the way the product was presented- a neat little case, space for all of the cds and they are all numbered nicely so if a certain toddler happens to get a hold of them, they go nicely back into their case.

( this hasn't happened to mine yet, but to every other cd or dvd in the house..)

I also am happy that this is not software based. I always get annoyed having to download stuff to my computer and then be attached to it for the learning. I can put this in a stereo anywhere and get to the lesson. 

I have not completed all the disks yet, but I already have improved my Spanish. I corrected some bad grammar I had developed,  in the first 15 minutes of the cd. After 30 minutes, I was feeling pretty good about my skills again, and knew by the end I would be very much improved.

The thing about this cd set that I think never really was something I learned well was pronunciation. Even at the height of my Spanish speaking, my accent was HORRIFIC. The way the Pimsleur method breaks down the words and sounds, I feel like I got a much better accent going. Even my daughter is saying HOLA correctly.. and she is only 2. 

( She was listening along with me, and was pretty amused at the whole thing.)

The method uses a scientific approach to the timing of repetition of new words. It takes advantage of this and maximizes your learning in a short period of time. 

I was also amused to learn that this is the set purchased by the FBI when they need to learn new languages. 


No paper, no notes. Nothing but you and the cd. 

You are required to repeat the words and phrases as directed- out loud. There is no way to correct your accent otherwise. 

Overall, I am very pleased about this learning set. I will be going through the cds over the summer, toddler included. Who knows, maybe by Fall we will both be fluent! ( ok, maybe not 100%, but we will be pretty awesome)

Thanks so much to Pimsleur Spanish for letting us try this out!
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.