Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Sun Sleeves for kids review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.


We live in Phoenix, in case you did not know, and the sun here can be insanely brutal. We are very protective of my daughter's skin as she is incredibly fair. I myself can burn or tan, but it has taken a toll over the years, even as sun averse as I have been. I have spots on my face from exposure.

I do wear zinc sunscreen myself, but to be honest, I am hesitant to use a lot on her. For one, even though zinc is relatively safe, I don't want the other stuff on her that usually comes with it. 

But also- since we cloth diaper and I wash all her diapers and clothes together, I don't want the chance of any sunscreen giving her diapers issues. Yes- zinc is a disaster for cloth, so I take great pains to avoid it.

SO- when I was asked to do a review of Sun Sleeves for kids, I jumped on the chance. I was not sure what to expect or whether my daughter would like them, so it was an adventure!

First off what are they? They are sleeves that you can put on or take off when you are in the sun. They come in kids and adult sizes. The ones we were sent have writing on them and it means Hope.  Cute! There is a broad range of colors and designs, and there is bound to be something your family will love...

They sent me the following info, and I have to admit, I am right on board-

"Did you know pediatricians recommend avoiding sunscreen until a baby is at least 6 months old?

FACT sunscreen takes 20 minutes to even START working
FACT sunscreen MUST be reapplied EVERY 2 hours
FACT 92%  of sunscreens don't give the protection they claim!

50+UPF UVA/UVB protection, keeps SPF even when wet 
Machine washable (delicate/cold wash), line dry.
Do not bleach/tumble dry/iron
Sold in pairs"   


That all sounds good. I don't even have a sunscreen that can beat that rating...

I was worried that my toddler wouldn't like them or that they would be too heavy to be comfy. 

When I opened the package, my daughter went insane for them. She immediately knew they were hers and I didn't get them back until she was asleep. She put them on. She cooed. She giggled. She thought they were the neatest toys ever. I guess the key on these is not to let them know they are what we want.. HA! I had to hide them in her go bag so we would have then for trips and such.



PS- She picked out her outfit and hat. 
 So the real test of course was a day in the park. We knew her birthday was going to be the last day in the 60's probably until November, so we wanted to get out and enjoy it. We packed her up, put on the sleeves and she was ready to roll. She loved having them on, and kept touching them and being excited about them. They fit great, a little big, but they will last all summer and maybe through next summer as well. ( and summer being February- November here) I always love being able to get 2 years out of a kids product. Although, considering the cost of baby sunscreen, this really is a bargain.




So how did they work?

They were perfect. She had them on the whole time we were there. She ate lunch, she played in the sand, went on swings, slides and climbed and they stayed on. She even got to fly a kite for the first time, and no hitch at all. 


She had a hat for her head, and long pants on, and she didn't get a spot of sunburn. You know who did? ME. It was windy and the hat I was wearing kept blowing away.. I sweated off my sunscreen.. I was red for days. Failed momma, but success daughter!

So- would I suggest these? Absolutely. I am definitely going to keep hers handy and when those get too small, we will get the next size for her. I think it wouldn't be bad for momma to get a pair as well.. and they have tie dye!!!

 Thanks so much to SUNNY SLEEVEZ  for letting me try this awesome product!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.