Disclosure: I may have received a free product or other compensation for any/all products on this site in exchange for my honest review.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Organic Matcha Powder review and St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes


Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

Sometimes when my blog posts appear at 12 am it is because I planned them that way. This time it is because I am up writing it, and wanted to get it out for all you crazy St. Patrick's Day fans. I am one!

I got this product to review, and I had to wait til the baby got to sleep to get time with my KitchenAid and the bag of this Organic Matcha Powder. I was given the product as well as a collection of awesome recipes to try. 

I am no stranger to matcha. 

I love green tea, especially matcha. It is smooth, insanely flavorful and energizing without the crazy that comes from me drinking coffee. This matcha is no exception. 

Organic. 

Fine. 

Insanely delicious. 

I hesitated to cook with it, since I want to hoard all its yummy goodness for morning and afternoon tea breaks.. but alas- St. Patty's Day calls me. I wanted green cupcakes.

I had the perfect solution!





I saw a recipe in the info from the company that sent the powder. I had a chocolate cake mix in the cupboard, and the mixings for the frosting. For some reason we always have a giant box of cream cheese handy.. 


Here are the cute little cupcakes. Sorry- didn't have any green wrappers;)

Very easy and quick recipe, and it will not let you down. I guarantee that you will not just be eating these for one day of the year, but if you need a reason....


Basic Matcha Frosting
Ingredients:
1 ½ tsp. matcha
16 oz. cream cheese (use low fat or fat free to reduce fat & calories)
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
Instructions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and butter on a medium speed until whipped 
smooth. 
2. Sprinkle in matcha and ¼ cup sugar and mix until combined. 
3. Add vanilla and remaining sugar gradually until fully whipped. 
4. Add more sugar to taste. 
Frosts 12 large cupcakes or 1, 9x13 cake.

Do you need more reasons to bake with matcha? Maybe.. maybe not, but here is some info from Kiss Me Organics:

"USED FOR:  LATTES | SMOOTHIES | BAKING

ALL DAY ENERGY WITH INCREASED FOCUS

Matcha provides 4 to 6 hours of mild steady energy as it acts as both a stimulant and a relaxant. This is ideal for focusing on whatever the day throws your way.

METABOLISM BOOST

Consuming matcha green tea can increase thermogenesis (the body's own rate of burning calories) from a normal 8%-10% of daily energy expenditure, to between 35% and 43% of daily energy expediture.

IMPROVED SKIN HEALTH

​Scientists have discovered that Matcha Green Tea helps protect the skin from harmful UVrays, while improving blood flow and oxygen levels lifting the overall quality of the skin.

137x THE ANTIOXIDANTS OF BREWED GREEN TEA

Antioxidants are essential as you age to boost your body's natural defenses against oxidation. Researchers have found that a high level of dietary antioxidants can prevent many age-related diseases."


Thanks so much to Kiss Me Organics for the chance to review this product!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.